About the property
From the front, the house’s massive size is not immediately apparent. Nestled between two large porches and beautiful heritage oak trees, you must walk around the house to reveal its multiple levels and dramatic use of stone, wood, custom multipaned windows and French doors. Designed by Pat Kuleto himself, with some help from Sausalito Architect, David Berman, Pat had a specific vision that he brought thoughtfully and completely to life. Pat built his beautiful Napa Valley estate home for his son, Daniel. The house was completed in 1995 and measures in at 6000 +/- square feet. It features 5 bedrooms and 4 baths. Using wood and stone from his property, along with many imported, one of a kind materials, he put together “Villa Cucina”, (the Kitchen House) --a family compound like no other. Like many of Kuleto’s restaurant interiors, the style of his home defies easy labeling. It’s a meld between an Italian country estate house and a rustic, Lake Tahoe cabin. Pat Kuleto dreams big. And, then he delivers. His 40-acre Napa Valley estate, “Villa Cucina”, does not disappoint.
The estate home interior features custom ironwork, travertine, mosaic and marble floors, marble and wood counter tops, custom cabinets throughout and huge alabaster light fixtures custom made in Spain. The rose-colored travertine floors came from a single vein of travertine mined by Verona, Italy. “Every part of this home has a story,” Pat says. The living room has 30-foot ceilings and a 10-foot-tall fireplace carved from 160-million-year-old Fossil stone. The formal dining room is dominated by an 18-foot white oak branch (found on the property) made into a light fixture and suspended in mid-air with multiple candles illuminating it, called the “candle-log-ra.” The huge master suite, complete with its own sitting room and balcony, features a 200-year-old imported Russian fireplace, radiant heat travertine floors, and custom made French doors that open out to unsurpassed views of the Napa Valley and Lake Hennessey. An adjoining terrace sports an outdoor shower, and fragrant flower vines crawl up the soft pink stucco. Pat wanted his home to fit as perfectly as possible into it’s environment. “ I wanted it to look like it had been here forever,” he says, “I wanted to maximize the views, and I didn’t want to lose any of the wonderful old trees.” The house is phenomenally complex, with multiple different floor elevations and a huge steel infrastructure. It’s built like a hotel. Yet it is very accessible, warm and comfortable. It’s the best of all worlds, and you will not find anything like it, anywhere.
Sitting about 2 miles off Sage Canyon Road in the beautiful Napa Valley, at the top of a gated, paved driveway, the property boasts 40 acres of lush, fertile ground. There is an established 4.5-acre vineyard for the winegrowing enthusiast, there is a pool house with unsurpassed views of Lake Hennessey and the quaint town of Rutherford, there are miles of outdoor entertaining area to welcome all your family and friends. The stunning infinity pool stretches out along the expanse of the view and is warm and inviting. You will never want to leave home.
The rustic “Shangri-Lodge”, a single story second unit, is just down the driveway and features 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and is as cozy as it gets. On the way, stop by the incredible stone wine cave and fill it with your favorite wines. Not enough for you? Then enjoy swimming or fishing in one of the three lakes that feature adjoining lochs for all your water pleasure needs.
This property is truly one of a kind- if you are searching for a rare jewel to call your own, this can truly be your “found once in a lifetime nirvana.”
Offered at $8,499,000.00
- 40.08 +/- acres
- One parcel
- Main residence
- Pool House
- Infinity Pool
- Incredible views of Pritchard Hill, Lake Hennessey, the quaint town of Rutherford, the famed Napa Valley and Mt St Helena. You can see Chappellet Winery, Bryant Family Winery, Colgan Winery, Ovid Napa, Continuum by Mondavi, David Arthur Winery, and Montanya Winery from this estate.
- 4.5+/- acres of established Cabernet, Zinfandel, and Muscat vineyards.
- About 2-3 acres additionally can be planted
- 2 bedroom/ 2 bath second unit
- Dramatic wine cave
- Garage/workshop/artist studio
- 3 lakes and lochs
- Incredible garden/fruit trees
- 60+ olive trees
- Built in 1995-1997, took 15 months to build
- Built for Pat’s son, Daniel
- Approx. 5000+/- square feet
- 4 bedrooms and 4 baths
- Multiple levels
- Incredible Napa Valley and Lake Hennessey views from every window
- Designed and built by Pat Kuleto with help from Sausalito architect David Berman
- Living room and dining room has 30-foot-tall ceilings
- Douglas Fir beams through the house were gifted by Don Carano of Ferrari Carano from his property in Chalk Hill in Sonoma County and were hand milled by Pat and dried in his own kiln. The wood was aged for a year and a half.
- Iron beams hold up the structure throughout the home.
- The walls are plaster over green board.
- The white oak throughout the home was milled from the property.
- The 10 foot tall stone fireplace in the dining room was made with stone found on the property.
- The 10-foot-tall stone fireplace in the living room was inspired by visiting castles in Europe and is made from fossil stone that is 160 million years old (from the Jurassic period) and hand carved.
- The large light fixtures in the living room are custom made in Spain from alabaster and bronze. They are 14 feet long and 3.5 feet wide.
- The “candle-log-ra” light fixture in the dining room is an 18 foot long piece of white oak that fell on the property and was custom made into a light fixture. It is topped and illuminated by multiple oversized candles.
- The travertine flooring was fashioned after flooring that is in the Hearst Castle. The rose-colored travertine (with tumbled edges) was harvested from a single vein of travertine found by Verona, Italy. Pat had it milled into 1 foot by 4-foot squares. The darker travertine by the fireplaces, etc, was sourced from Persia.
- All the flooring has radiant heat flooring.
- There is A/C throughout the home.
- All the doors and windows are custom-made clear redwood.
- The kitchen is fashioned to be a 30-foot-long line restaurant kitchen.
- It features a newer 60-inch Wolf range with 6 burners, double oven, and grill
- Newer, oversized Sub-Zero refrigerator
- Dishwasher, microwave and two large pantry’s
- Custom, hand milled madrone wood counter tops
- Inside Pizza oven
- Huge custom bar
- There are two wine cellars, (one is about 400 square feet under the house) and both can hold thousands of bottles of wine
- Master Bedroom has a 200-year-old Russian fireplace
- Dramatic high ceilings
- The master bath tile was hand laid by Turkish stone workers
- The design came from the cover of a phonebook from Pat’s home village in Gorizia, Italy.
- There are marble counter tops in the master bathroom
- All the cabinets are custom made
- The floor tiles in the kitchen are from a monastery in India
- There is an outside shower by the master bathroom
- Built in 1995
- Approx. 400 +/- square feet.
- 1 bedroom, work out room, full bath, kitchenette
- Stunning views of the Napa Valley and Lake Hennessey
- Has enjoyed rents of up to $30k for special events
- Commercials from Jeep, Eddie Bower and Subaru have taken place on the property by the pool
- Big pizza oven and a built-in BBQ by the pool
- Tons of space for entertaining by the pool/pool house area
- Custom lighting outside
- 1000’s of square feet of hardscaping
- Built in 1995
- Approx. 50 feet by 30 feet
- All the hardscaping is Calavarasite stone
- Build in 1992
- Approx. 1450 square feet
- 2 bedrooms and 2 baths
- Built from an old hunting lodge on the property
- Where Pat and his family lived while they build the Villa
- There is a barn, garage, and workshop/artist studio by the Shangri-Lodge
- Approx. 4.5 +/- acres currently planted to Cabernet, Zinfandel and Muscat
- About 2-3 acres additionally can be planted.
- Fully irrigated and professionally farmed
- Produced about 8-9 tons in 2017
- The gross profit from the vineyard in 2017 was $60k
- There is an incredible 35 x15 foot wine cave on the property
- The walls are plastered inside
- There are 3 natural lakes on the property
- Lake Brunello
- Lake Bahito
- Leaky Lake (this lake has water that moves and is caught and stored in a large cistern)
- There is a cooking station at the lakes, 2 full bathrooms and an inside and outside shower
- There are lochs that run by the lakes. You can move a boat into a loch, fill the loch up and carry the boat to the next level of lake or loch.
- The lakes are stocked with black bass, blue catfish, trout, and blue gill.
- Fully paved road is approx. 2 miles from Sage Canyon Rd
- There are incredible views from every window on this property
- Huge ½ acre garden
- The garden has imported loamy, organic loamy soil
- The garden is fully irrigated
- The garden fed regularly with home grown compost from the property
- There are approx. 60-70 olive trees on the property
- There are apple, apricot, cherry, lemon, orange, persimmon, pluot, pomegranate, quince, peach, nectarine, avocado, fig, pear, and Mexican lime trees in the orchard
- There are 200-400 year old white and blue oak trees on the property